Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Perfection

Yesterday, while in the waiting room at the doctor's office, I saw perfection. A grandmother was babysitting a newborn and a 2-year-old while their mother was at her 6-week check-up. The two year old was screaming at the top of his lungs, having a mega tantrum. "I want my mom! I want to go where my momma is!!!" Who knows how long it had been going on, 'cause he was already at full speed when I walked in. His screams could be heard throughout the office. They were loud and long, and drew nasty stares from other mothers, and an elderly couple showed their displeasure by staring, frowning, and whispering. That's when I saw perfection, and it will serve as an example to me for the rest of my days.

This wonderful grandmother, newborn in her left arm, and screaming, flailing toddler at her right knee, held him close and whispered loving things to him throughout. She smiled at him, stroked him, whispered funny stories, tried hard to redirect him with questions, until finally a story about his grandpa's bunnies and his baby cousin stopped his crying completely. She explained gently where his mother was and why she needed privacy. All the while she was kind and loving. She never lost her patience. Never raised her voice. Never made him feel out of place or bad. Never discounted the depths of his feelings. She showed love throughout the entire ordeal. She wasn't embarrassed or judgmental. She only cared about his pain and about how to make him feel better. She was awesome. Amazing, just amazing. If only we could all show so much love in times of stress and turmoil. That's one lucky family.

1 comment:

puggerhugger said...

I love seeing people in acts of kindness. Kind of regenerates my faith in everything good. :)