Friday, January 1, 2010

Best Gift

Last night my youngest son and I were looking at my Social Security end of year summary that came in the mail. He laughed at the amount of money I made when I was his age (17)-just a little over $400. Then he studied my salary through the years, my college days when I worked 4+ jobs, and my years as a teacher. Then there were 15+ years where there was no salary. He said, "What's that? Oh, those are the raising kid years..." I jokingly figured out the amount of money I could have made and told him what it might have been, and how it might have helped us along financially. He said, "But Mom, I am who I am because you stayed home with us. I would be a different person if you hadn't.I am so glad you did." Wow. That made it all worth it. The sacrifices, the lean times,the second-hand clothing and furniture, a house in desperate need of repairs....all pale in comparison to his statement. I really love my boys.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That would seem like it would be worth it, to have your son appreciate your sacrifices. You did a job as you can tell