Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Smallest Victims of Foreclosure

Today I received a phone call from an acquaintance--a wonderful lady, whose friend is going through a divorce and the foreclosure of her home. This woman is in her 70's and is relocating to public housing. She can only bring one of her 3 cats with her. She asked if I would take the other 2. They were a male and a female, 8 and 9 years old. The former husband cannot keep them because now he has no place to live, and will be living in his van.

I am overcome with sadness for this woman. I cannot imagine having to decide which of my pets to keep and which to get rid of. I am overcome with sadness for these 2 pets, who now have no place to live. What must they think? They've done nothing wrong. They've been wonderfully faithful and loving companions for many years. They are "good kitties."

I spent the entire afternoon in turmoil about this request and in our decision process. We already have 7 cats, and as a family we decided not to take these two. I feel incredibly sad. I feel incredibly guilty. I don't know how I will sleep tonight.

The truth is, we spend enormous amounts of money on our cats every year. Thousands of dollars are needed each year for their care. Their vet care is expensive. Their food is expensive. Their cat litter is expensive. One sees a cardiologist. One has 2 autoimmune disorders and needs medication. Another has allergies and needs medication. Two have dental issues. We feel that the house is full and that we are stretched enough financially with the kitties we have already. It may not be fair to the ones we have to stretch ourselves any thinner.

Then why do I feel so bad about the decision we made? Because I feel that there should always be room for one more. There should always be room "in the inn." My Catholic upbringing taught me to accept whatever God sends and he will provide. Did I just turn away two souls who needed me? Was it some kind of test? Was I meant to make the difference for this family and these two kitties?? Or, did I do the right thing and save my family from financial hardship, and my kitties from the stress of getting used to 2 new siblings? Tough call. I can never know for sure, and I am tormented by it all.

All I know is that the smallest victims of foreclosure have no say in it at all. They are the ones I really feel sorry for. I will pray for them.

1 comment:

puggerhugger said...

You are such a sweet, dear person. I think that you can pray for these kitties, AND for the man living in his van, and I will too. That is what you are supposed to do. Of course you can't take them, although we want to we cant save the world. Big hugs, Mary