Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Holidays

Trying to put the finishing touches on the gifts has been tough this year. I still have so much wrapping to do, and because most of the gifts are for the boys and hubby, they can't help me with it. A little at a time, I guess. The tortoise always wins the race.

I hope they like their gifts this year. It never seems like very much once it is all paid for and wrapped. The boxes are so small, and it doesn't look like much under the tree. Santa may have to make one more stop out before Christmas arrives--pull that sleigh into the mall! I won't have hubby's approval for what I have in mind for the boys. He'll say it is too much money. I know it is, and I'll be paying for it for months. (He did the same thing last year when I had already finished shopping, and he went out a few days before Christmas and bought them a computer!)

I worry how gift exchange will be with some family members this year. I fear it will be strained. One side of the family isn't exchanging at all, and the other wants a real "cutback." I feel like I am getting in trouble for being kind to people. I'm told I make people feel bad by giving them things...How can that be??? I just don't understand it!!! I am a gifty kind of person. Can't help it. Always have been--always will be. It's my "love language," I suppose. [If you haven't read Gary Chapman's book, The Five Love Languages, you should. It will change your life!!]

Oh well, take me as I am--or not. I am befuddled by a world where Christmas gift giving has become an obligation to be met, where there is not any joy in giving to people who are supposed to be important in your life and in the lives of your children. Too much effort. Too much money. Too much time. In my opinion......too little love. Too little kindness. Too much selfishness. Sometimes the very best gifts cost absolutely nothing........

No comments: